|L.A. Herald, Oct. 1903|
Sarah and Lulu joined in the society of the times--in one article they were noted as signing up for annual dues to the new Children's Hospital. Other donors included Arthur Letts, Niles Pease, Mrs. W.C. Patterson, and Mrs. Homer Laughlin.
Below--a photo of the house ca. 1910:
|The Munson Residence -- 2717 West 8th St.|
|Gilbert in 1910|
Supposedly Ernest came from an upper-class background in Zanesville, but his relationship with Lulu didn't seem to be a great one, as in May, 1913 a judgment against him is posted in the Oxnard Courier followed ten days later by a notice of him transferring a 1/4 interest in a large acreage in the Montecito area.
In 1926 Lulu passed away, and was buried with Gilbert back in Zanesville. Daughter Sarah, husband Ernest, and their three children were all buried in Santa Barbara.
And the house on West 8th Street? It disappears from the listings after 1915, and when the area next showed up in a 1951 Sanborn map, the corner east to Hoover including the Munson lot is a commercial L-shaped retail area, as it appears today. And here's a look courtesy of Google:
|The "Max" sign is where the house had been.|
G. D. Munson Biography