By the time Edwin J. Marshall (1860-1937) arrived in Los Angeles in 1904, he had already established himself in the world of business, most notably in the Houston, Texas area. He joined his wife Sallie (1866-1947) and only child Marcus (1893-1930), who had traveled to sunny California three years prior to improve the health of their son.
In leaving Houston, he sold off his interest in The Texas Company (known later as Texaco), where he had been its first Treasurer and an early investor as part of the Hogg-Swayne syndicate. Hogg was a native-born ex-governor who was most well-known for the naming of his daughter (you have to look this one up if you're not from Texas). A bank failure in Beaumont in August, 1903, of which Marshall was a director may have influenced the timing of his move to L. A.
|Edwin in 1910|
Together Marshall and Torrance also headed a syndicate that purchased a 46,000 acre property known as the Chino Ranch. The area included today's Carbon Canyon as well as the city of Chino, which contains an elementary school named E. J. Marshall.
When the Southwestern National Bank merged in 1905 with the First National Bank, Edwin declined to work at the new facility, instead concentrating his efforts on ranching.
The family settled near Westlake Park at 3rd & Westlake, a few blocks from the Willitts Hole family (who Edwin knew from Chamber of Commerce meetings), purchasing the old Griffith residence.
|304 South Westlake in 1909|
When the census taker came by in 1910, he recorded that Edwin, Sallie, Marcus, three servants, and two "hired men" resided in the obviously spacious residence.
In 1915 the Marshall family moved to Grand Avenue in Pasadena, and by 1920 son Marcus, who was living there, had married, become a widower, and had a son Edwin J, II. The Marshalls began to scale back their society and business interests and took to some international traveling.
|Edwin, Marcus, and Sallie mid '20s passport photos|
|A view from the upper floor of 304 Westlake looking southwest ca. 1910|
(courtesy of lapl.org)
The 1940 census does not list 304 Westlake, or its equivalent 1934 West 3rd Street. The lot was probably converted to the service station it became during the 1940's or 50's. The 1956 phone book listed the lot as "Sam's Serv". Within one block was a Richfield station (a major brand of gasoline in L.A. in the 50's) to compete.
Today it's not a gas station. Rather it's a strip center. And so ended 304 S. Westlake.
|304 S. Westlake Avenue recently|
Biography on E. J. Marshall