|Mr. Lahee ca. 1895|
E. H. was elected mayor of Covina for six years, and as the head of the Pacific Electric right-of-way committee, he was critical in convincing landowners to provide right-of-way through El Monte to Covina. (Not everyone was happy though, as indicated by this lawsuit in 1909). As president of the local library association, he led the committee for Covina to procure a Carnegie Library for Covina (which they did), and went on to lead as chairman of the California Library Association.
So what did the Lahees do after all of this Covina success? They retired to Los Angeles, of course, and settled in this lovely home on Magnolia Street.
|1018 S. Magnolia St. in 1910|
Odds are good that the Lahees are the ones in the image above. In 1910 the census lists the Lahees, a cousin and one servant in the house.
By 1920 though, retirement must have changed, as the Lahees have moved to 5th Avenue, and then again to 2119 1/2 South 3rd Avenue, where they're both last found in 1928.
And the house? By 1932 four people with different last names are to be found there--indicating it had become a rooming house. The house is found with people through the late 1980's, then the listing disappears from the directories.
Today the lot is the part of the playground for Leo Politi Elementary School, noted for its after-school program.
|Today's neighborhood--the green arrow shows the approximate location of the old house.|
(courtesy of Google Maps)