|The Pasadena & L.A. Electric in 1906|
Figueroa at Marmion Way (3)
Around 1904 the Clarks wished to move from their house at 823 W. 23rd to something more luxurious. A prime lot on the north side of prestigious St. James Park was available, and so by 1906 they had moved in.
|9 St. James Park, taken from across the street at 20 St. James Pk.|
And though retired, in 1911 Eli Clark funded the building of his namesake Hotel Clark, which was an early user of concrete in larger buildings.
Sherman and Clark were partners for most of their lives. They ended up dying within a year of each other, and have a shared tombstone at Forest Lawn Glendale. Clark's wife Lucy and Sherman's daughter Hazeltine are also interred there.
|From Men of the Pacific Coast, 1902|
The house was eventually demolished and is now incorporated into a nearby Los Angeles school.
1. L.A. from the Mountains to the Sea
3. Photo from Pacific Electric; Donald Duke; 1958; An L.A. bound car is crossing the Los Angeles and Salt Lake R.R. tracks, which previously ran down the east side of Figueroa, turning east at York Blvd. to cross the Arroyo Seco. The bridge for the Pacific Electric ran across the arroyo a block south.
1. A brief video from 1919 showing the main intersection in St. James Park