|Busch Gardens, Van Nuys in 1968--plant is the building at back right|
Adolphus Busch (1839-1913) was a successful brewer, emigrating from Germany, then partnering with his wife's father in St. Louis. His idea of using pasteurization and of creating a light lager that was acceptable to a broad section of the population (it's called Budweiser) made him a very wealthy man.
|Cravens Residence, ca. 1903|
|Upper Arroyo Gardens ca. 1915 (Ivy Wall at upper rt. behind trees)|
Thaddeus Lowe House (with flag) at upper left
The house and property were in wife Lilly's name, so the gardens continued when Adolphus passed away in 1913. Upon Lilly's death in 1928, no future plan for the gardens had been made, and so they were closed to the public. In 1937 parts of the upper garden were sold and subdivided, and in 1943 the house was sold by the Busch estate, and the house was then razed in 1952.
The lower gardens were offered twice to the City of Pasadena, but refused because of perceived high maintenance costs. In 1949 the lower gardens were sold and the property developed into residential lots and houses.
Today remnants of the original gardens rest along each homeowner's property in the arroyo, including the Old Mill, and one of the concrete water fountains, along with some of the original wire fencing. A recent tour in 2010 by Pasadena Heritage allowed tourists to once again see "Busch's Gardens".
|Ivy Wall ca. 1910 with Arlington Drive in front|
1. Sam Watters; Houses of Los Angeles 1885-1919
3. Postcards of the Gardens