In 1909 South Flower Street was home to single family residences, rather than the commercial district we see today. Here's a view of one of those houses circa 1910:
1436 So. Flower Street was the home of Wilson Campbell Patterson and his wife Virginia. They had come to L.A. in 1888 from Chillicothe, Ohio, when Wilson's health broke down. Their two daughters Ada and Hazel came too, and by 1912 had married Harry Callender and John Stuart, respectively.
In November, 1898 Wilson was elected President, L.A. National Bank until its consolidation with First National Bank, when he was made Vice President of the new bank, a position he held until his death. He also served on the L.A. Board of Education.
A view of the same place today (courtesy of Google Maps):
View Larger Map
By 1912 with his health continuing to fail, Patterson embarked on a trip to the Far East hoping to restore his health. He died while on the journey.
(The photo at right is circa 1910).
Old Homes of Los Angeles